Saturday 6 February 2016

Captain America Winter Soldier

Writer : Ed Brubaker
Artist : Steve Epting

I picked up a whole stack of graphic novels and collections at the Lifeline Bookfest. I meant to go in and get one or two but came home with twelve.

Of course I had heard of the story line. After all Marvel made a small movie about it you might of heard of.

I'm not giving anything away to say that Bucky Barnes is postulated to be the mysterious killer used by the Soviets during the Cold War. The evidence is presented to Cap, who at first won't believe it. Livov, Bucky's Soviet handler, has discovered the cosmic cube.

Most of the story is the chase and pursuit of Bucky and the Cosmic Cube. All the while this is happening Cap is agonising over the betrayal of his friend.

The ending is a bit deus ex machina and to avoid a spoiler I won't reveal it. One case where in my opinion the movie ending was better than the book.

The artwork is gorgeous and the story does grip still the whole piece did leave me feeling a little flat at the end. Still it was a good read and enjoyable throughout.

I recommend this book. I also recommend Brubaker and Epting stories they have worked on together with Image comics. I currently read Velvet which is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment